Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kush Gauge Calculator
Thumbs Up 
[Image: Kush-Gauge-calculator.jpg]
Want to know the optimal encoding bitrate to achieve good quality?
Want to know if the quality of the source you would use in your project is right?
Wait no more - take a look at the Kush Gauge Calculator!
Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash... Sad
Fundamental Collection | Vimeo channel | My blog
Thanks given by:
Do you have a version with a target size, spoRv? Like 25GB BD with a lossless track for example.
New, low or non-posting members: Please do not post or PM me asking where to get something or what the current status of a project is. Such requests are ignored. Instead, stick around and become a participating member. Thank you.

Thanks given by:
This is just a tool to discover which is the optimal bitrate to achieve a good quality; if the bitrate of your project is higher, then it has a better quality...

There is an online bitrate calculator - I used it sometimes - but I don't remember the link; but now that I played a bit with the script, I can think I could be able to make a new one to calculate the needed bitrate for our project, given the desired target space.
Thanks given by:
Just finished to do an Advanced version: http://blog.sporv.com/advanced-kush-gauge-calculator
Please take some time to test it, and post here opinions and eventual problems or wanted features.

I'm working to show the effective format compliancy; in the next future, I'll add this to a bitrate calculator, as asked by PDB - someone else interested?
Thanks given by:
[Image: Advanced-Kush-Gauge-calculator.jpg]
http://blog.sporv.com/advanced-kush-gauge-calculator

Update: added MPEG-1 and MPEG-4 part 2 (divx/xvid) codecs, as well as new formats like VCD, WEB, LD and VHS captures; introduced two new variables, progressive/interlaced, and grain/no grain, to get an even better fine tuning of the bitrate calculation.

Any feedback is welcome!
Thanks given by:
How would you get a reading of motion rank and chroma subsampling?
Thanks given by:
Motion rank is just a subjective variable... for an action movie, a 3 or 4 should do, while for a stand up comedy 1 is more than enough.

Chroma subsampling: most every consumer format is 4:2:0 8bit; UHD BD is 4:2:0 10bit; of course there are around other formats and bit depth, but they are professional ones.
Thanks given by:
Update: slightly change the HEVC constant, from 0.045 to 0.0482
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restoration tips: Kush Gauge™ spoRv 0 2,691 2015-01-04, 03:56 PM
Last Post: spoRv
  Restoration tips: Andrea’s Corollary to the Kush Gauge™ spoRv 0 2,410 2015-01-04, 03:44 PM
Last Post: spoRv