Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghost in the Shell
Some more info in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ra...cence.html

Looks like 2.0 went back to the source materials (for the shots that weren't 'fixed').
Thanks given by: CSchmidlapp
(Yesterday, 11:12 AM)zoidberg Wrote: Some more info in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ra...cence.html

Looks like 2.0 went back to the source materials (for the shots that weren't 'fixed').

Wow. Great thread! Alot of questions answered!

They printed the final shots to film, then used the 'avid' to edit, that referenced the printed elements like a O-Neg.
So no Digital Master to speak of, even though the shots we're Digital Creations.
I missed this information in my original research years ago!
it's why I love this forum Wink

Im still reading Smile
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 09:18 AM)CSchmidlapp Wrote: It looks that way Smile
The whole process is not shown but it's definitely alluded to. Im not an expert on animation techniques to begin with.

If it was indeed all created digitally, what would the resolution of such a project be?
What we're the digital effects shots in 'Hollywood' films of that era, 2K?
Reading that Doom9 thread, it sounds more haphazard than the 'making of' leads us to believe.
At first I thought they digitally edited the film, but it sounds more like they digitally composed each shot, printed the shots to film and then cut the film together old school. But who knows if that is true.

As far as I know, Disney started their digital animation on CAPS in 2k and is still animating CG films in 2k to this day. CAPS was a dedicated workstation. AVID is not.
I suspect a mid 90's Mac would have struggled with full HD. I've yet to see any transfer of this film that has better than 720p detail, and it is quite possible at what they composited.

Edit: Is there one project being worked on here by BronzeTitan or more?
Have the audio tracks been chosen? I really don't hate the English dubs for this film. GitS movies/TV shows are always huge info dumps that make reading subs and following action a chore.
Thanks given by: