Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Mad Max 2/Road Warrior Regrade (Warner 97 DVD/LD)
[Image: 15fmmxV.jpg]

Project Info:

The basis of this project is to color regrade the Blu-ray (BD) to look more like the 1997 DVD and 1994 laserdisc. The DVD unfortunately has a red/magenta bias which is similar to all early Warner DVDs. The laserdisc, which uses the same master, is less red and tends more towards yellow. So I took the DVD and rebalanced the colors more towards the LD but still maintaining the orange and red deserts and unique color timing. The new corrected video is the basis of this color correction project. I then adjusted the black level for each shot as many shots on the DVD have the incorrect black level.

Video:
2013 Blu-Ray (Extended Cut) video color regraded to the 1997 DVD/ 1994 LD

Audio:
1. PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround/ Stereo (from the 1994 Warner Laserdisc)
2. Dolby Digital 5.1 (from the Warner BD)
3. Dolby Digital 5.1 (Matrix decoding of the PCM 2.0)
4. PCM or DTS-HD MA 2.0 (Isolated Musical Soundtrack)

Subtitles:
TBD (mostly all the subs on the existing BR)

Pics:

BD/BD regraded to DVD
[Image: mm2_1e.jpg]
[Image: mm2_2b.jpg]
[Image: mm2_3b.jpg]

https://s8.postimg.org/fqtimqe2d/mm2.jpg

Jonno - big thanks for the PCM track, LD cap and end Warner logo
Tas007- for the recreated Saul Bass logo
Thanks given by:
OOoOOH YES YES YES

Should you want any foreign dub for sync let me know, I have the french 5.1 which is not on the new Blu-ray (due to the 5.1 being only available on the old US cut) but this can be fixed I guess.
Thanks given by:
The color grading is looking awesome PDB. That new Mad Max movie has me excited as well. I hope it's as good as the trailers make it out to be.

Film Addict    

Thanks given by:
Hot damn! You're knocking the ball out of the park again!
Thanks given by:
Finally the right color grading. Can't wait!
Thanks given by:
Stamper:
Thanks for the nice words. Is the french in sync with the BD? Not sure what subs/soundtracks this is going to have at the moment. I definitely want Jonno's Dolby Stereo/Surround track as the main track. Optionally, I was thinking maybe the lossy 5.1 track from the BD. I was also thinking of trying some remixes of the Jonno's DS soundtrack into 5.1 using some of the Dolby Surround decoders that I was collecting a few year ago (Fosgate Model 5, Shure HTS, etc) That last part is a wish list that may not happen

Doombot:
Thanks Doombot. I'm hoping and praying the movie looks as half as good as the trailer. I wasn't 100% sold of Hardy in the beginning, maybe because its change, but that trailer changed my mind. Can't wait. And thanks for your help and advice.

Lee:
Thanks Lee, I love the enthusiasm hopefully the regrade will live up to expectations.

One of things I wanted to include is the old Saul Bass Warner Bros logo. It was on the old DVD and on the 35mm print I saw. I was hoping to create it in HD using the logo from another movie but its hard since WB seems to have removed that logo from a lot of old movies and the only ones I can find are 2.35/9 and they don't work
[Image: saul.jpg]
So I may just upscale the DVD's logo

I'm going to keep the titles Mad Max 2 instead of changing them back to Road Warrior.

One last thing interesting I noticed. The night scene when Max is leaving has a very striking blue filter on the DVD that is non-existent on the BD. Its a huge difference

BD/BD regraded to DVD
[Image: mm2_4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(2015-02-25, 04:59 AM)PDB Wrote: One of things I wanted to include is the old Saul Bass Warner Bros logo. It was on the old DVD and on the 35mm print I saw. I was hoping to create it in HD using the logo from another movie but its hard since WB seems to have removed that logo from a lot of old movies and the only ones I can find are 2.35/9 and they don't work

If you want a HD source that matches the WB logo on the bottom check "Enter the Dragon", it has the exact one. I have it ripped and saved as lossless avi if you would like me to send it to you.
Thanks given by:
Just out of curiosity, what's about the laserdisc color grading?
Fundamental collection thread site | Vimeo channel | My personal blog
Thanks given by:
It's the same as the DVD. Same master.
Thanks given by: spoRv
(2015-02-25, 05:50 AM)Booshman Wrote:
(2015-02-25, 04:59 AM)PDB Wrote: One of things I wanted to include is the old Saul Bass Warner Bros logo. It was on the old DVD and on the 35mm print I saw. I was hoping to create it in HD using the logo from another movie but its hard since WB seems to have removed that logo from a lot of old movies and the only ones I can find are 2.35/9 and they don't work

If you want a HD source that matches the WB logo on the bottom check "Enter the Dragon", it has the exact one. I have it ripped and saved as lossless avi if you would like me to send it to you.

Well like minds think alike, Booshman. That bottom pic is from Enter The Dragon (the top Road Warrior DVD).Basically the RW is different dimensions with more at the top and bottom and occurs at a faster speed. I thought that these were incomparable with the 2.35 logo and I would need a different source but in writing this reply I started to play around with the logos in Photoshop:

DVD overlayed and streched to fit the 2.35
[Image: saul_1.jpg]

The differences I saw are just a distortion of compressing the 2.35 image. So I guess if I can figure out how to do the same things in Premiere I can fix it. The Enter does say presents so I will have to find a way to mask that out

Yep same master as the LD. I had that LD long ago and got rid of it when the DVD came out since they were the same (before I realized the joys of PCM Dolby Surround)

Edit: Well I can stretch the DVD to fit the 2.35 but the other way around, the way I need it, is a bit trickier

[Image: bd_01_40_09_16_Still029.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blade Runner Director's Cut Regrade (Warner Laserdisc) PDB 55 2,358 2017-06-20, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  Aliens TV Cut and Regrade (Fox THX Laserdisc) PDB 202 43,310 2017-06-17, 10:07 AM
Last Post: jonno
  Evil Dead Regrade (Japanese Herald Laserdisc) PDB 28 1,447 2017-06-11, 07:26 PM
Last Post: dvdmike
  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Regrade FrankT 36 4,453 2017-05-10, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Koopa Luath
  Terminator 2 (Theatrical Cut) Regrade PDB 81 11,663 2017-01-23, 03:12 PM
Last Post: jerryshadoe