Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Point Break (1991) Original Dolby Surround 2.0 Mix and 4.1 mix
Springfeel, you are somewhat correct about that, until i found out later why it sounded so bad, and I found out how to fix it!!
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 07:47 PM)springfeel Wrote: A VHS tape would likely sound better than a lossy 2.0 ac3 track Smile

yeah, you are technically correct, but only since Dolby forces all of their Hardware (and most software) DD decoders to enable Dialnorm/DRC by default (so the volume level will always be way lower than any other source, which is the reason why i always convert an AC3 track to another format which gets rid of the DRC, but the guys in this forum always tell me its a bad idea, but I do it for this very reason!) 

The compression quality of DD/AC3 itself is great. They Managed to fit near CD quality sound on 35mm film using only using 320 Kbps for all 6 channels (in the early 90's, a feat!!!), but the moron who decided that Dialnorm belonged on the home version of AC-3 (the Theatrical version did not have Dialnorm/DRC) should have been fired as soon as he proposed that Idea. 

I found out that DD can sound as good as DTS/ DTS HD Master Audio, and Uncompressed LPCM while using Kodi (which does not enable Dialnorm/DRC on AC3 tracks) this weekend, and comparing the PCM bitstream output (SPDIF) to the Dolby Digital transcode/passthrough options. 

The regular PCM 2.0 passthrough sounded like a DTS/ CD track  while the AC3 Passthrough/Transcode sounded just like the optical DD output of my DVD player. I used the DVD of Days Of Thunder in the DVD Player, while I used the ripped version of that same title in Kodi.
Thanks given by:
I was feeling a bit nostalgic about Point Break, so I came across this thread in a search for the best source for original audio to watch it with.

First of all, thanks dwalkerdon, for providing the DVD track, I'll compare them to the ones on the Pure Adrenalin Edition BD.

Has anyone got any concrete information on the LD PCM track? Withouht it, I belive the 4.0 on the BD should be the best option, right?
Thanks given by:
To follow up on my previous post, I compared these tracks to the FOX BD DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 4.0 tracks on audacity.

The multichanel mixes themselves are very similar, if not the same. The DVD 4.1 is basically the BD 4.0 with bass extracted to a separate chanel and the 5.1 splits the surrounds in two chanels with the same information (in other words, it's mono surround)

So the main difference is in the dynamics and they are significant. The BD 4.0 is clearly the worst, with compressed dynamics and high frequencies roll off. The 5.1 is much better in these regards.

The DVD tracks seem to be the best, showcasing even higher dynamics than the 5.1 lossless track.

Thanks again dwalkerdon for these great tracks!
Thanks given by: dwalkerdon
(2020-05-24, 07:28 AM)BDgeek Wrote: To follow up on my previous post, I compared these tracks to the FOX BD DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 4.0 tracks on audacity.

The multichanel mixes themselves are very similar, if not the same. The DVD 4.1 is basically the BD 4.0 with bass extracted to a separate chanel and the 5.1 splits the surrounds in two chanels with the same information (in other words, it's mono surround)

So the main difference is in the dynamics and they are significant. The BD 4.0 is clearly the worst, with compressed dynamics and high frequencies roll off. The 5.1 is much better in these regards.

The DVD tracks seem to be the best, showcasing even higher dynamics than the 5.1 lossless track.

Thanks again dwalkerdon for these great tracks!
Good information. It's still possible the BD 4.0 is pretty much the original theatrical mix and digital jiggery-pokery is responsible for the 5.1's enhancements.
That still doesn't mean the 5.1 track probably isn't better, but there are people that prefer 'faithful' to 'improved'.

Although I believe the newer BD has more compression on the video so it fits on BD25 with the previous release being a BD50.
Thanks given by: BDgeek
Thanks Doctor M!

I do believe the DVD tracks are not only more faithful but also better sounding.

The Fox BD indeed has better compressoin, this can be objectively preceived on the caps-a-holic comparison. However, since the original master seems to come from an old scan, looking very soft and possibly filtered, the differences are not all that great. So, the FOX BD is still the superior presentation so far.
Thanks given by:
Are you saying the DVD's 4.0 (4.1?) track is better than the BD 4.0 track? At the very least you'd expect identical.
Thanks given by:
Is there a PCM 2.0 LD capture around?
Thanks given by:
(2020-05-25, 10:28 PM)Doctor M Wrote: Are you saying the DVD's 4.0 (4.1?) track is better than the BD 4.0 track?  At the very least you'd expect identical.

Yes indeed DoctoM, the dynamics are significantly higher.

Since the DVD 4.1 is already available here, if anyone is interested on the BD 4.0 I can provide it. The delay is +440ms for the DVD tracks to sync with the FOX Pure Adrenalin Edition
Thanks given by: Doctor M

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Days Of Thunder (1990) Original Dolby Surround 2.0 mix dwalkerdon 8 3,062 2020-05-24, 11:26 PM
Last Post: weegee2392
  [Request] Superman: The Movie 4K 5.1 Original Mix Kamdan 3 176 2020-05-03, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Booshman
  [Request] Mad Max (1979) Original Mono iguanaclerk 13 4,066 2020-04-22, 01:33 AM
Last Post: LunaRacc
  [Help] Starship Troopers original Dolby Surround Mix Stamper 20 7,985 2020-04-18, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  Rambo trilogy original mixes & color timing Stamper 46 16,683 2020-04-18, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Beber
  Hitchcock original audio thread captainsolo 2 184 2020-04-14, 04:27 PM
Last Post: bendermac
  [Request] Scarface (1983) 4.0 original mix Stamper 7 993 2019-11-27, 11:50 PM
  Showdown in little Tokyo (1991) - Japan LD PCM bendermac 0 273 2019-09-14, 10:13 AM
Last Post: bendermac
  Basic Instinct (1992) - 2.0 Surround NeonBible 16 3,360 2019-09-06, 09:36 PM
Last Post: NeonBible
  The Good, The Bad and the Ugly - Original Mono on BD? bendermac 4 653 2019-08-27, 08:08 AM