Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bronan's Audio Projects
Agreed, it's a bit like digital archaeology at times which makes it all the more fun to restore this stuff.
Thanks given by:
I'm finally looking at a few discs that I got in the fall and the Twin Peaks pilot caught my eye. I loaded it up and did a few quick A/B comparisons with the BD, and it's a pretty significant difference between the mixes. The BD mix has a ridiculous bass boost on it and the noise reduction is so overdone it interferes with the hi-hats and cymbols in the music. I can't unhear it! Anyway, the interesting thing is that the laserdisc is the international version which has 20 minutes tacked onto it to make it a self-contained movie with closure. As far as I understand everything I need for the normal version should be there, but I'm sure it'll be an interesting sync.

LD / BD
[Image: KVsYkNE.jpg]

[Image: Dx8F3oe.jpg]
Thanks given by: crampedmisfit1990
Awesome. I figured it would be a decent difference. The pilot is super good but I do prefer the original broadcast version. I think you'll easily be able to just cut the extra audio out. The pilot on the BD just has the extended ending tacked on the end via seamless branching. Do you have all the sources you need for this?

On a side note, The Twin Peaks (Fire Walk with Me) film would be nice to have a LD audio capture of, as it trims the New Line intro off and also loses a tad of the opening audio with it on the Criterion BD.
Thanks given by:
I haven't seen the international cut yet, but I was hoping it was as simple as a single branch. One thing I did notice though is that the credits music is different between the two. I'm not sure if that exact cue is used elsewhere, I'll have to take a look.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-12, 05:00 AM)bronan Wrote: I haven't seen the international cut yet, but I was hoping it was as simple as a single branch. One thing I did notice though is that the credits music is different between the two. I'm not sure if that exact cue is used elsewhere, I'll have to take a look.

If I recall right it is simply a seamless branch. I'm not sure if a regular episode uses the different music or not. Been a year or so since I watched them all last.
Thanks given by:
Bronan - is that the 5.1 or 2.0 mix from the BD? I certainly heard the bass boost you're talking about on the 5.1 but after switching over the the 2.0 it seemed fine.
Thanks given by:
The 2.0 on the BD is the original broadcast mix but the issue is it is lossy AC3.
Thanks given by:
Yea it was the 7.1 mix I was looking at. I completely forgot to rip the 2.0 haha, will check it out as well
Thanks given by:
A lot of times the differences between mixes are almost negligible, but Romancing the Stone is not one of those times. I got the LD capture from BusterD (thanks!) and took a quick look at it.. well I'll just let this sample speak for itself.

(LD/BD)
https://mega.nz/#!b7JViKJS!9D6FJI60yHW4D...sIvD4AIRoE
Thanks given by: PDB
Wow, the BD sounds horrible.

[Image: romancing-sample-wav.png]

Film Addict    

New members: Please do not send me a PM about how to acquire a file or project. Participate in forums, just asking for things and not participating will get you nowhere fast.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music LaserDiscs needed for replacing BD audio DoomBot 369 143,134 2020-07-07, 07:41 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Disney animated film LaserDisc audio collection DoomBot 20 14,079 2016-03-24, 02:22 AM
Last Post: FrankT