Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bronan's Audio Projects
Well, I don't know about the Columbia LD missing sound FX, but the UHD definitely is Big Grin

[Image: kaPmKXX.png]
It's really saddening what the movie studios are doing to film's these days with such botch-jobs tbh.
Thanks given by: bronan
As far as I can tell the Criterion LD is a fold-down of the 70mm 6-Track whereas the Columbia release uses the Dolby Surround track. It's entirely possible there will be different mixing decisions made for these two tracks.

Didn't the original (and somewhat controversial) Blu release have a 5.1 PCM track? Obviously the Superbit DVD had the DTS track, my bet is that these releases would have something closer to the original mixes, but given the prevalence of near-field mixing in those days (and Copplola's relentless tinkering) probably not as close as we would like.
(2019-09-11, 01:46 PM)zoidberg Wrote: As far as I can tell the Criterion LD is a fold-down of the 70mm 6-Track whereas the Columbia release uses the Dolby Surround track. It's entirely possible there will be different mixing decisions made for these two tracks.

You thinking a Die Hard situation? The film is a success so they issue 70mm prints with a modified soundtrack.
New or non-posting members: Please do not post or PM me asking where to get something. Stick around and make some friends first.

Looking For:
Alien 1999 Master Japanese BSHI Broadcast 1080i mid 2000s
Blade Runner DC Pre-BD US HDTV Broadcast 1080i 2005 (blade.runner.1080i.dd5.1.oar)
Thanks given by:
(2019-09-11, 01:46 PM)zoidberg Wrote: Didn't the original (and somewhat controversial) Blu release have a 5.1 PCM track?

Yep.  From my audio-delay thread:

Chewtobacca Wrote:This syncs the PCM 5.1 from the 2007 BD to the remastered BD from 2015.
Code:
eac3to input.pcm output.w64 -1001ms
(24*41.7ms)

My guess is that the same delay will work for the UHD BD.  As bronan found, this has film been fairly consistent in terms of frame-count across home-video releases, as I discovered when comparing the various transfers years ago: syncing one to the other is fairly straightforward.
I spoke too soon, Looking further it seems that this was an early early Dolby Digital release, it looks like no 70mm prints were struck anywhere. I'm guessing the mixers may have added some extra stuff to make the most of the discrete 5.1 channels (split surrounds etc.) and perhaps made the matrixed Dolby Stereo mix more about the ambience/atmosphere, although at this early stage I would imagine most cinemas were not yet upgraded to AC-3.

When it came to the CC LD they obviously saw value in including the 5.1 folded down to 2.0, AC-3 on LD wasn't a feature yet and even if possible it would have meant sacrificing either the score/effects track or the commentary.
Thanks given by:
(2019-09-10, 07:21 PM)PDB Wrote: I was curious since LDDB says there are some difference with the Criterion:

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/04954/CC1...al-Edition

but I doubt it

Wow!

LDDb Wrote:New Dolby Surround mix transferred directly from Dolby 6-track containing about 40 sound effects which are not present on the normal Dolby Surround mix

The wording of this is a bit ambiguous, but it could be taken to mean that there were two mixes, one that sported additional sound-effects.  Moreover, it sounds as if anyone who syncs the Criterion will have to tinker with it a bit:

LDDb Wrote:Because of a dissolve and a poor side break, about five seconds of footage from the end of side #2 is repeated on the beginning of side #3, which makes no sense considering #2 is a little over twenty five minutes long.

Regardless, I'm glad that bronan synced the Columbia.
Thanks given by:
(2019-09-11, 08:48 PM)Chewtobacca Wrote:
LDDb Wrote:New Dolby Surround mix transferred directly from Dolby 6-track containing about 40 sound effects which are not present on the normal Dolby Surround mix

The wording of this is a bit ambiguous, but it could be taken to mean that there were two mixes, one that sported additional sound-effects.  Moreover, it sounds as if anyone who syncs the Criterion will have to tinker with it a bit:

Taken at face value could new mean that they remixed it for that LD only and added things FFC wanted in. It's not unheard of. Criterion was rumored to remix some of their LD mixes like Robocop.

But it does read like the effects were left off of the regular mix.

If only someone had the Criterion to check...Smile

(2019-09-11, 08:48 PM)Chewtobacca Wrote: Regardless, I'm glad that bronan synced the Columbia.

Agreed, thanks bronan
New or non-posting members: Please do not post or PM me asking where to get something. Stick around and make some friends first.

Looking For:
Blade Runner DC Pre-BD US HDTV Broadcast 1080i 2005 (blade.runner.1080i.dd5.1.oar)
Thanks given by:
(2019-09-11, 08:57 PM)PDB Wrote: Taken at face value could new mean that they remixed it for that LD only and added thing FFC wanted in. It's not unheard of. Criterion was rumored to remix some of their LD mixes like Robocop.  But it does read like the effects were left off of the regular mix.

Yeah, the reference to forty extra effects sounds suspicious.  Absent further evidence, I'd be far more inclined to assume that they were added for the Criterion than left out on the Columbia.
Thanks given by:
Well the plot thickens. I dug out my Criterion of Dracula last night and there is no mention of 40 new sounds on the tech specs

[Image: 08VHF7Y.jpg]
[Image: FXrG7wc.jpg]

I searched through the LDDB forums to see if there was a mention of that entry and found nothing. I'm betting it's wrong and the CC is the same as the Columbia. But only one way to find out.

Looking For:
Thanks given by: bronan , TomArrow

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music LaserDiscs needed for replacing BD audio DoomBot 369 143,390 2020-07-07, 07:41 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Disney animated film LaserDisc audio collection DoomBot 20 14,086 2016-03-24, 02:22 AM
Last Post: FrankT