Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Restoration tips: PaNup™
Tried this on a video with two different sources... amazing how much definition I could get from there!

I think I will try a blend of Mad Max 2 Pal & NTSC DVDs just to see how it improves.

Also thinking Mad Max 1 adding the original NTSC DVD + original Pal DVD + NTSC DVD remaster + Blu-ray.

As they all use the same master, but with different color schemes on the NTSC DVD remaster + Blu-ray. I think this could restore the Blu to it's actual colors and definition.
Thanks given by:
In the latter case you could just merge the chroma plane!
Fundamental collection thread site | Vimeo channel | My personal blog
Thanks given by:
Oh yeah, if you can match the frames perfectly (both spatial and temporal alignments) then this can help A LOT and I have done this on numerous projects and am still doing this on some stuff I'm working on...

Just keep in mind that it will NOT always match and then you have to start playing games or just have to acknowledge that it can't be done. I have had projects "hit a wall" because I couldn't get frames to align since they came from different film sources that had frames warped in different ways...
Thanks given by:
Yep, I tried to align both DVDs of Mad Max 2, Pal & NTSC... get ready for a surprise, they're different transfers. The Pal DVD is zoomed in, and they both have different squeeze. I'm guessing the Pal was made another time at another place. Usually they do the NTSC and then they do the Pal right after with the exact same settings. Not the case here.

Tried to panup a trailer, same thing: even though one was from the DVD and the other from the Blu-ray, they aligned perfectly, except the moving titles, which had a lag. I suspect the reencoding messed it up.
Thanks given by:
The NTSC RW DVD is not a constant stretch across the picture unlike the BD which is correct. The DVD is stretch by a lot in the middle, then a little less off center to not at all on the sides. Its why my RW project has taken a while since that throws off any color matching software. Its a mess of a transfer.
Thanks given by:
It's weird uh? Did you compare with the LD to see if it was the same weird stretch?
However it has french 5.1 whereas the Blu-ray as just french Dolby Surround I think. So I need to sync this to the Blu, perhaps you would be happy getting the french 5.1 dub as an extra? Will have to fill with the english 5.1 the missing parts. There's no talking so it won't be noticeable.
Also the french dub needs fix, during Papagallo speech, his voice is synced with the old man going nuts instead of the old man actual dialogue which is deleted. It's complete on the 5.1 track.
Thanks given by:
The LD from what I remember has a little bit different aspect ratio but nothing shocking
Thanks given by:
Actually just found out a french fan already "repacked" the 5.1 with the dialogue fix!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restoration tips: Axis-Aligned Polygon Aspect Ratio™ spoRv 34 8,204 2017-07-02, 02:03 PM
Last Post: nightstalkerpoet
  Restoration tips: Soft+Open Matte™ spoRv 15 1,827 2017-07-01, 04:03 AM
Last Post: spoRv
  Restoration tips: HD matrix surround™ spoRv 9 1,960 2017-06-17, 12:14 AM
  Restoration tips: Overlap matching spoRv 12 1,526 2017-06-16, 02:35 AM
  Restoration tips: DaLucc™ spoRv 1 148 2017-06-13, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  Audio tips: DTS-HD MA encoding needed delay spoRv 4 336 2017-06-03, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  Restoration tips: analog capture spoRv 5 1,219 2017-02-02, 12:08 PM