Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restoration tips: De-logo Patch Technique™
De-logo Patch Technique™

What is the De-logo Patch Technique™?
It's a method to get ridden of a logo (usually TV) using a second source to obtan a "patch" that will cover it.

How does it work?
It's quite simple: you need two sources aligned (spatially and temporally); then, take a portion of the source without logo, to make a "transplant" to cover the source with logo; you could do a simple geometrical shape patch - to be the shape of the logo, make elaborated, multi shaped patch - like several simple geometrical shapes put together, to cover for example a logo composed by letters, numbers, symbols etc. or make a mask that cover perfectly the logo.

Why use it, if you have a source without logo?
Good question! Usually, you want to de-logo an high quality source - like a 1080i/p HDTV broadcast, which is the only one available, while lower quality sources are available - 720p HDTV, WEB download, DVD etc.
Using this technique, you have the best quality for the whole image, except for the patch which covers the logo.

What if there is not another source?
Then this technique couldn't be used; you must use another de-logo method, that usually cover the logo interpolating the surrounded details.

Some examples
Here you are the original frame (left), the mask (center) used for a classic de-logo method, and the overlaid mask (right) before the de-logo - (click for 2x zoom):

[Image: original_mask_overlay.jpg]

Now, the original frame (left), a classic de-logo method (center), and the De-logo Patch™ (right) - (click for 2x zoom):

[Image: original_classic_patch_116266.jpg]

The classic De-logo method seems to work well... right? Yes, but only in some shots, usually the most static... see the next examples - two consequential frames:

[Image: original_classic_patch_43828.jpg]

[Image: original_classic_patch_43829.jpg]

Pretty neat, right? WARNING: I haven't tested enough the classic De-logo filter; with carefully chosen settings, it certainly could work better, but it will always produce some artifacts.

Here you are the comparison of the full frame:http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/126619
(you can note that the De-logo Patch™ has more image details than the original, thanks to the Overlap matching)

The quality of the final result varies, of course, depending on the quality of both sources; near perfect solution is to find two 1080i/p HDTV versions, both with a logo in a different part, and use one as the patch for the other, and vice versa!
Fundamental collection thread | Vimeo channel | My personal blog
Thanks given by: Colek
Just used this technique, and if you're using SD and HD footage, make sure to change color matrix, in my case, DVD and HDTV transfers turned out to be identical masters and it was quick to just overlay DVD footage on logo Smile
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-19, 09:28 PM)Colek Wrote: Just used this technique, and if you're using SD and HD footage, make sure to change color matrix, in my case, DVD and HDTV transfers turned out to be identical masters and it was quick to just overlay DVD footage on logo Smile

Yep, it was implied, but maybe I forgot to mention it... thanks! Ok
Fundamental collection thread | Vimeo channel | My personal blog
Thanks given by:
The virtualdub delogo filter works way better than your example. The correct way is to sample two frames - one that is completely black and the other completely white (the whole frame doesn't need to be black or white, just the region where the logo is). It's true you will have artefacts due to compression though.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restoration tips: Overlap matching spoRv 14 1,966 2017-09-06, 07:46 AM
Last Post: spoRv
  Restoration tips: Axis-Aligned Polygon Aspect Ratio™ spoRv 34 9,431 2017-07-02, 02:03 PM
Last Post: nightstalkerpoet
  Restoration tips: Soft+Open Matte™ spoRv 15 2,217 2017-07-01, 04:03 AM
Last Post: spoRv
  Restoration tips: HD matrix surround™ spoRv 9 2,255 2017-06-17, 12:14 AM
Last Post: nightstalkerpoet
  Restoration tips: DaLucc™ spoRv 1 256 2017-06-13, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  Audio tips: DTS-HD MA encoding needed delay spoRv 4 496 2017-06-03, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  Restoration tips: PaNup™ spoRv 57 15,488 2017-04-07, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  Restoration tips: analog capture spoRv 5 1,374 2017-02-02, 12:08 PM