Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Canceled] Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country HDTV Fix and Regrade
[Image: qg4Cvh8.jpg]

Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country HDTV Regrade (Theatrical Cut v 1.0)
Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country HDTV Regrade (Original Director's Cut v 1.0)

Project Info:

Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country (ST6), like most of the classic Star Trek movies, has been treated pretty poorly in the HD world. Although I was happy to have the movie back in it's Theatrical Cut (TC) and scope format, the BD is terrible. Riddled with DNR and over-sharpening. Luckily there are two alternatives, the Sky HDTV broadcast and now a superior Amazon HDTV Web-DL in the new/flashback Director's Cut (DC2) form. (Big thanks to the anonymous source that helped me find the Amazon)

The goal of this project it to recreate the superior (IMHO) TC out of the Amazon Web-DL but also the old, original Director's Cut (DC1) which lacked the flashback shots and chiming noise during Spock's mind meld.

Although the Amazon has a superior picture over the Sky it still has some issues to overcome. First problem is that it has compression artifacts similar to my Top Gun project and many other Web-DLs.

Compression artifacts example
100x/200x
[Image: 3jZ6Ps3.jpg]

Finished (Deblock, Noise removal, CC, etc)
200x
[Image: scgo0Xg.jpg]

Another problem is this HDTV open matte also uses similar color timing to the BD, DVD and Sky HDTV color timing. Unfortunately, this master has the standard 1990s/2000s red/magenta blanket over the picture, particularly in the highlights. So I removed some of the red and balanced the highs to "white". The end result looks like this:

Orig/CC'd (WIP aka still working on it)
[Image: od4LVtU.jpg]

Both will also include the LD's PCM but for the TC, I will add the additional tracks from the BD whereas the DC1 will have the original, excellent EAC-3 5.1.

Finally, as with Top Gun, spoRv was nice enough to give me a copy of his YAO subs which when turned on will mask the 2.00 "open matte" Super35 picture down to the theatrical 2.35. So you have the option to watch it with both aspect ratios.

Video (TC and DC1):
Amazon 2.00 open matte Web-DL with de-blocking, noise removal and slight color correction.

Audio (TC):
1. PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround (from the widescreen LD, synced by BusterD)
2. Dolby Digital 5.1 (from the BD)
3. DTS-HD MA 7.1 (from the BD)

Audio (DC1):
1. PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround (from the widescreen LD)
3. Dolby Digital+/EAC-3 5.1 (Original Web-DL Track with "chime" removal)

Subs (TC and DC1):
1. spoRv's YAO subs to watch the 2.00 open matte video in 2.35 mode

Pics:

COMING SOON

Final TC MKV Pics

Final DC1 MKV Pics

YAO Subs Example
2.00/2.35 YAO subs

Collaborators and Thanks (In order of help):
Anonymous: For pointing the way
busterD: for the LD PCM and sync
spoRv: for YAO subs
New, low or non-posting members: Please do not post or PM me asking where to get something or what the current status of a project is. Such requests are ignored. Instead, stick around and become a participating member. Thank you.

Just so people know, the DD+ 5.1 is the best discrete preservation of the pre-BD multichannel mix, and despite the fact that the WEB-DL is the DC, the audio (fortunately) lacks the annoying chimes in the mild-meld sequence.  The downside is that the DD+ is not BD compliant (because it lacks a core), so before muxing it to BD, convert it to DTS-HD MA for best results.

Great work on fixing the highlights, PDB! And that poster's cool.
Thanks given by:
This looks really great! If only the DC removed "and the good news is..." Wink
Finest kind.
Thanks given by:
(2019-09-03, 08:12 PM)Dek Rollins Wrote: This looks really great! If only the DC removed "and the good news is..." Wink

(2019-09-03, 07:09 PM)Chewtobacca Wrote: Just so people know, the DD+ 5.1 is the best discrete preservation of the pre-BD multichannel mix, and despite the fact that the WEB-DL is the DC, the audio (fortunately) lacks the annoying chimes in the mild-meld sequence.  The downside is that the DD+ is not BD compliant (because it lacks a core), so before muxing it to BD, convert it to DTS-HD MA for best results.

Great work on fixing the highlights, PDB!  And that poster's cool.

Thanks guys.

That DD+ soundtrack does pretty sweet! And so is that poster. I believe it is from a series that a fan did of al the classic Trek movies. Fans make the best poster these days. It's why I like to use them as the header in my projects. Fan art for fan projects. Just wish I had the wall space (and money) to buy them.
New, low or non-posting members: Please do not post or PM me asking where to get something or what the current status of a project is. Such requests are ignored. Instead, stick around and become a participating member. Thank you.

Thanks given by:
I really like the new color grade and the artifact fix! Well done.
Thanks given by:
This looks like it was an amazing project.
Thanks given by:
How far did this project progress?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Canceled] The Abyss Open Matte and Regrade PDB 66 10,632 2020-11-05, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Hitcher
  [Canceled] Tremors Regrade (Project CRT #0) PDB 48 3,504 2020-10-13, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Plissken1138
  [Canceled] Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (IMAX Recreation) PDB 162 91,366 2020-09-03, 12:50 AM
  [On Hold] Mad Max 2/Road Warrior Regrade (Warner 97 DVD and LD) PDB 305 223,840 2020-07-03, 02:39 AM
Last Post: Inq81
  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Regrade FrankT 46 25,809 2020-06-25, 03:08 PM
Last Post: workprint-lover-and-wanter
  [Retired] The Dark Knight (Regrade and Imax Restoration) PDB 141 79,886 2020-01-27, 09:39 PM
Last Post: TomArrow
  [Canceled] Zodiac Theatrical Cut (Quick Project) PDB 7 1,992 2020-01-14, 10:07 PM
  [Canceled] Terminator 2 Regrade (First Japanese Squeeze Laserdisc) PDB 15 4,803 2020-01-13, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [No Longer Available] Die Hard 2 UHD Downconvert and Regrade (Quick Project) PDB 12 3,001 2019-12-30, 05:18 AM
Last Post: PDB
  [On Hold] Dragonslayer Video Fix and Regrade (Two Versions) PDB 31 16,224 2019-09-12, 03:43 PM
Last Post: PDB