Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country HDTV Fix and Regrade
[Image: qg4Cvh8.jpg]

Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country HDTV Regrade (Theatrical Cut v 1.0)
Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country HDTV Regrade (Original Director's Cut v 1.0)

Project Info:

Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country (ST6), like most of the classic Star Trek movies, has been treated pretty poorly in the HD world. Although I was happy to have the movie back in it's Theatrical Cut (TC) and scope format, the BD is terrible. Riddled with DNR and over-sharpening. Luckily there are two alternatives, the Sky HDTV broadcast and now a superior Amazon HDTV Web-DL in the new/flashback Director's Cut (DC2) form. (Big thanks to the anonymous source that helped me find the Amazon)

The goal of this project it to recreate the superior (IMHO) TC out of the Amazon Web-DL but also the old, original Director's Cut (DC1) which lacked the flashback shots and chiming noise during Spock's mind meld.

Although the Amazon has a superior picture over the Sky it still has some issues to overcome. First problem is that it has compression artifacts similar to my Top Gun project and many other Web-DLs.

Compression artifacts example
100x/200x
[Image: 3jZ6Ps3.jpg]

Finished (Deblock, Noise removal, CC, etc)
200x
[Image: scgo0Xg.jpg]

Another problem is this HDTV open matte also uses similar color timing to the BD, DVD and Sky HDTV color timing. Unfortunately, this master has the standard 1990s/2000s red/magenta blanket over the picture, particularly in the highlights. So I removed some of the red and balanced the highs to "white". The end result looks like this:

Orig/CC'd (WIP aka still working on it)
[Image: od4LVtU.jpg]

Both will also include the LD's PCM but for the TC, I will add the additional tracks from the BD whereas the DC1 will have the original, excellent EAC-3 5.1.

Finally, as with Top Gun, spoRv was nice enough to give me a copy of his YAO subs which when turned on will mask the 2.00 "open matte" Super35 picture down to the theatrical 2.35. So you have the option to watch it with both aspect ratios.

Video (TC and DC1):
Amazon 2.00 open matte Web-DL with de-blocking, noise removal and slight color correction.

Audio (TC):
1. PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround (from the widescreen LD, synced by BusterD)
2. Dolby Digital 5.1 (from the BD)
3. DTS-HD MA 7.1 (from the BD)

Audio (DC1):
1. PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround (from the widescreen LD)
3. Dolby Digital+/EAC-3 5.1 (Original Web-DL Track with "chime" removal)

Subs (TC and DC1):
1. spoRv's YAO subs to watch the 2.00 open matte video in 2.35 mode

Pics:

COMING SOON

Final TC MKV Pics

Final DC1 MKV Pics

YAO Subs Example
2.00/2.35 YAO subs

Collaborators and Thanks (In order of help):
Anonymous: For pointing the way
busterD: for the LD PCM and sync
spoRv: fora YAO subs
New members: Please do not post or PM asking where to get something. Projects are for long term, participating members only. Stick around and make some friends
Thanks given by: TomArrow , jonno , applesandrice , spoRv
Just so people know, the DD+ 5.1 is the best discrete preservation of the pre-BD multichannel mix, and despite the fact that the WEB-DL is the DC, the audio (fortunately) lacks the annoying chimes in the mild-meld sequence.  The downside is that the DD+ is not BD compliant (because it lacks a core), so before muxing it to BD, convert it to DTS-HD MA for best results.

Great work on fixing the highlights, PDB! And that poster's cool.
Thanks given by:
This looks really great! If only the DC removed "and the good news is..." Wink
Finest kind.
Thanks given by:
(2019-09-03, 08:12 PM)Dek Rollins Wrote: This looks really great! If only the DC removed "and the good news is..." Wink

(2019-09-03, 07:09 PM)Chewtobacca Wrote: Just so people know, the DD+ 5.1 is the best discrete preservation of the pre-BD multichannel mix, and despite the fact that the WEB-DL is the DC, the audio (fortunately) lacks the annoying chimes in the mild-meld sequence.  The downside is that the DD+ is not BD compliant (because it lacks a core), so before muxing it to BD, convert it to DTS-HD MA for best results.

Great work on fixing the highlights, PDB!  And that poster's cool.

Thanks guys.

That DD+ soundtrack does pretty sweet! And so is that poster. I believe it is from a series that a fan did of al the classic Trek movies. Fans make the best poster these days. It's why I like to use them as the header in my projects. Fan art for fan projects. Just wish I had the wall space (and money) to buy them.
New members: Please do not post or PM asking where to get something. Projects are for long term, participating members only. Stick around and make some friends
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragonslayer Video Fix and Regrade (Paramount Widescreen LD) PDB 31 10,532 2019-09-12, 03:43 PM
Last Post: PDB
  Aliens SE, TV and Theatrical Cut (Japanese WOWOW HDTV Broadcast) PDB 12 1,353 2019-09-11, 06:18 PM
  Terminator 2 Regrade (First Japanese Squeeze Laserdisc) PDB 10 1,268 2019-09-01, 04:26 AM
Last Post: professorwho
  The Terminator Regrade (UK Virgin VHS and 35mm Frames) PDB 167 19,379 2019-08-31, 11:45 PM
Last Post: dvdmike
  [In progress] Resident Evil saga AAP-AR & color regrade spoRv 7 1,773 2019-08-14, 10:20 PM
Last Post: spoRv
  Project A Part II (1987) quick regrade Serums 3 376 2019-06-06, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Serums
  Mad Max 2/Road Warrior Regrade (Warner 97 DVD and LD) PDB 293 171,277 2019-04-18, 05:36 PM
  The Blade Runner Regrade Collection (Restored DC, IC v2.0 and Restored TC) PDB 188 65,082 2019-03-29, 09:51 PM
Last Post: black81
  Police Story III colour regrade/correction Serums 34 3,326 2019-03-17, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Serums
  The Great Escape HDTV Version PDB 16 2,966 2018-12-25, 11:51 PM
Last Post: dvdmike