Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVMUXER - Dolby Vision with LPCM Audio
Through a few different programs its now possible to remux LPCM (even 44.1kHz!) and DTSMA audio into an MP4 container with a Dolby Vision stream! Based on the guide here, I created a GUI frontend called DVMUXER to simplify it to an automated process that takes just a few clicks. Compatibility isn't 100% for the generated files, but I have confirmed it will play OK on an LG TV via DLNA or USB. Functionality of the app is very limited since its beta - there is no in-app options screen yet, only one PCM audio track can be added, etc. - but I will keep adding features.

1. INSTALLATION
- Download and extract DVMUXER 0.1 to where you'd like it
- Please make sure you have .NET 4.6.2 installed!
- Download ffmpeg and extract to where you'd like it
- Download mp4box and install (only the first option down through mp4box in the install list are required)

2. SETUP
- For now there is no options screen so settings must be changed by editing config.ini with Notepad or other text editor
- The only thing that MUST be set in the config.ini is the path to your ffmpeg folder

3. USE
- First backup the UHD to your drive. Use MakeMKV to rip it with the File->Backup... option. See my post on LibreDrive for more details on ripping UHDs.
- Once its finished, open DVMUXER.exe and select the .m2ts from the backup that is the main movie file (it will be the biggest file in BDMV\STREAM)
- Select the PCM track you'd like to add
- Ensure you have enough free space on your drive before starting! You will need at least 200GB free on the drive DVMUXER is running on (unless you add a custom Temp directory in config.ini)
- Press Remux and select where to save the final file to.

That's it! Just note it might take a while, especially the 2nd step where the DV MP4 is created. Unfortunately there's no output from that app so I can't move the progress along, but make sure to give it at least an hour before wondering if its messed up. Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions or issues!
Thanks given by: PDB , TomArrow
Thanks for the info bronan. I didn't even know the DV was working with mp4s...
New, low or non-posting members: Please do not post or PM me asking where to get something or what the current status of a project is. Such requests are ignored. Instead, stick around and become a participating member. Thank you.

Thanks given by:
Me neither - is there any guide out there are to how it ‘works’?
Thanks given by:
Yea check out this thread on makemkv, it has the basics for ripping into MP4. I am going to try and get The Shining working today and will write up the steps I use.
Thanks given by:
Nice find!

Does Dolby Vision actually make any real difference? If so, what is it? I understand it's supposed to give a greater bit depth, but I don't see how this would significantly improve the image quality for many if not most movies, if for no other reason than the existence of grain that is far too strong to allow for any kind of real banding.
Thanks given by:
Yes, it has 12-bit color vs HDR10's 10-bit. The bigger difference though is the metadata. HDR10 metadata is static and applies to the whole movie, not per scene. DV's metadata is dynamic and can apply per scene, plus it can adjust to your TVs specs. LG actually added a dynamic tone mapping feature (not to be confused with HDR->SDR tone mapping) to adjust HDR10 for your TVs specs (mastering with HDR10 is tricky since not all TVs can produce same brightness levels), but it has wacky side effects like scenes changing brightness right in the middle and such.
Thanks given by:
I don't fiddle with mp4 and Dolby Vision. I rather use UHD Creator from DVDFab. You can add any audio, as long it's Blu-ray conform. So you can add an original mono mix on top of a Atmos mix for example Smile
Until you can mux lossless audio into mp4, I'll stick my current workflow... at least until lossless audio is supported Wink
Thanks given by:
(2019-10-17, 06:49 PM)bendermac Wrote: Until you can mux lossless audio into mp4, I'll stick my current workflow... at least until lossless audio is supported Wink

That's what this thread is about Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(2019-10-17, 05:21 PM)bronan Wrote: Yes, it has 12-bit color vs HDR10's 10-bit. The bigger difference though is the metadata. HDR10 metadata is static and applies to the whole movie, not per scene. DV's metadata is dynamic and can apply per scene, plus it can adjust to your TVs specs. LG actually added a dynamic tone mapping feature (not to be confused with HDR->SDR tone mapping) to adjust HDR10 for your TVs specs (mastering with HDR10 is tricky since not all TVs can produce same brightness levels), but it has wacky side effects like scenes changing brightness right in the middle and such.

So how does this affect playback in normal HDR10 in direct comparison to DV? Speaking more from a subjective experience standpoint. Does it change brightness more from scene to scene or? What does the end user actually perceive in terms of changes?
Thanks given by:
Basically better contrast, black and white levels for your TV, etc. Say a white is supposed to be X nits bright but your TV can't do that, the question becomes how do you handle it. HDR10 is mastered only for the performance of the monitors its produced on, so if your TV can only do half of what it can you are getting a very different experience than what was intended.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Help] Dolby Surround 2.0 Matrixed files Upmix CSchmidlapp 67 17,053 2020-08-06, 11:24 PM
Last Post: allldu
  [Help] Sync separate audio track to mkv file JackForrester 5 439 2020-06-23, 09:53 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  DTS-HD Master Audio and bitrate (PBR) smoothing pipefan413 3 522 2020-05-30, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  Issue Exporting Audio in Premiere Croweyes1121 16 2,264 2020-02-28, 06:13 PM
Last Post: TomArrow
  Authoring PCM and Dolby on same blu ray. Booshman 12 6,472 2018-05-21, 10:57 PM
Last Post: bronan
  [Help] Problems authoring PCM wave audio in TsMuxer [SOLVED] Evit 8 3,632 2018-01-26, 04:21 PM
Last Post: PDB
  Burn DVD with audio tracks. crissrudd4554 31 14,990 2016-03-16, 07:19 AM
Last Post: crissrudd4554