Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Released] NEAR DARK (1987): a pipefan413 preservation
NEAR DARK
a pipefan413 preservation

[Image: 5LC29RvyIPxb.jpg]

Kathryn Bigelow's 1987 vampire opus NEAR DARK is a film that's been horribly mistreated over the years. On its theatrical release, it basically tanked in the presence of its big budget brother THE LOST BOYS, the DVD releases were kinda hit and miss, and the Blu-ray options are all pretty horrendous even compared to the DVDs we got nearly 20 years ago. I put this custom version together mostly for my own purposes, but I may as well make it available to the rest of those who consider this a worthwhile "cult film" and would appreciate being able to watch it in the best quality currently possible, until a decent official release hopefully appears one day. As of today (the 2nd of May 2020), I understand the UK (2009), US (2009), Canada (2009), Spain (2013), Japan (2018), France (2018), and limited edition Germany (2019) releases all to be out of print, and the only one due out is a non-limited re-release of the German version toward the end of this month which (according to its distributor) has identical content to the 2019 discs.

This is a custom, painstakingly re-synchronised remux of NEAR DARK, using the best available video (high bitrate 1080p AVC), audio (DTS and Dolby), and subtitle (PGS) tracks available from various out of print official releases. All audio tracks are English, but subtitles are included in English, English SDH, Spanish, French and German (including a German one translating the English director commentary). This includes all 4 audio tracks from the special edition 2002 Anchor Bay DVD with the old StudioCanal logo music switched for the new version to precisely match the video track from the 2018 French Blu-ray Disc. This was done without re-encoding any of the main audio (the 2018 StudioCanal logo music was encoded from lossless DTS-HD Master Audio to several target codecs to match the main audio tracks it was being appended to the start of).

THIS IS A FAN-MADE PRESERVATION OF A FILM I CARE DEEPLY ABOUT, AND HAVE SPENT A GREAT DEAL OF MONEY ON BY BUYING ALMOST EVERY OFFICIAL RELEASE OF IT SINCE 2002. IT MUST NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR PROFIT. I DO NOT ENDORSE PIRACY.

If I know you and/or you're an active contributor around these parts, PM me for details (I do have the BD25 ISO but am not making that quite as readily available as the MKV). If you're interested to know how I put this custom preservation together, I have a very (painfully) detailed .nfo file that explains the whole thing from start to finish, command line instructions and all. Otherwise, just enjoy the film!

Thanks to Stamper and schorman for their help while I was working my way through this.

-

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

For my own purposes, I made this disc compliant and put it on a BD-R SL (BD25) so that I could stick it inside one of the boxes of my many retail copies of the film. This is much more likely to be reproduced for nefarious purposes, however, and people seem to largely prefer the flexibility of MKV, so this upload is in an MKV container instead.

VIDEO:      H.264 AVC @ 31.9 Mbps from 2018 French Blu-ray Disc
CHAPTERS:   13 chapters, from 2019 German BD but very slightly tweaked
            (e.g. chapter 13 now starts in time with the end credits music)
AUDIO 1:    DTS 5.1 @ 754 kbps from 2002 US DVD*
AUDIO 2:    Dolby Digital 5.1 @ 448 kbps from 2002 US DVD*
AUDIO 3:    Dolby Surround 2.0 @ 192 kbps from 2002 US DVD*
AUDIO 4:    Dolby Surround 2.0 director commentary @ 192 kbps from 2002 US DVD*
SUBTITLE 1: English, PGS from 2009 US BD
SUBTITLE 2: English SDH, PGS from 2009 US BD
SUBTITLE 3: Spanish, PGS from 2009 US BD
SUBTITLE 4: French, PGS from 2018 FR BD
SUBTITLE 5: German, PGS from 2019 DE BD
SUBTITLE 6: German translation of English commentary, PGS from 2019 DE BD

* 2002 StudioCanal logo music removed and 2018 StudioCanal logo music added from 2018 FR BD (without re-encoding the main audio)
Fingers Lickin' Good!
Thanks given by: pipefan413
No Italian tracks?!? Eek Tongue
Thanks given by:
(2020-05-05, 12:17 PM)spoRv Wrote: No Italian tracks?!? Eek Tongue
No Italian release, no Italian tracks, sadly!

The UK and Spain Blu-rays both had no subtitles whatsoever, France and Germany only have French and German respectively, and the US one just has English and Spanish.
Thanks given by:
I'm seeding this beauty. Thanks for making it, I've never actually seen the film so this is a great occasion. As for the Italian version, would you like me to pass you the Italian track that is floating around the web. I guess it was taken from VHS or even from the RARE Italian DVD, these are the only sources available to us here in Italy.
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
(2020-05-07, 10:07 AM)Evit Wrote: I'm seeding this beauty. Thanks for making it, I've never actually seen the film so this is a great occasion. As for the Italian version, would you like me to pass you the Italian track that is floating around the web. I guess it was taken from VHS or even from the RARE Italian DVD, these are the only sources available to us here in Italy.

If you want to send me the Italian audio, I might do a followup audio-only release (I suppose a bit like my Millions of Voices project) with optional tracks synced to this release in the same way as I did the English tracks off the old DVD... sound good? I already had a request for the French one (already synced, I just need to rip it again) and the German one is also in sync because it uses the same video, but I'd need to sync the Spanish and don't yet have the Italian or any others that might be on the go. Would be cool!

On an unrelated (to Near Dark) note, I don't suppose either of you happens to have an Italian copy of Snowpiercer by any chance? If so, please chuck me a PM, because I've a favour to ask...
Thanks given by:
I really enjoy this project pipefan. Thanks for putting it together.
New, low or non-posting members: Please do not post or PM me asking where to get something. Stick around and become a participating member first.

Looking For:
Alien 1999 Master Japanese BSHI Broadcast 1080i mid 2000s
Blade Runner DC US HDTV Broadcast 1080i 2005 (blade.runner.1080i.dd5.1.oar)
Thanks for the work, pipefan! Also appreciate it. Wish we had a new master coming soon but good to have it in the correct pitch for now.
(2020-05-07, 05:26 PM)pipefan413 Wrote:

If you want to send me the Italian audio, I might do a followup audio-only release (I suppose a bit like my Millions of Voices project) with optional tracks synced to this release in the same way as I did the English tracks off the old DVD... sound good? I already had a request for the French one (already synced, I just need to rip it again) and the German one is also in sync because it uses the same video, but I'd need to sync the Spanish and don't yet have the Italian or any others that might be on the go. Would be cool!

On an unrelated (to Near Dark) note, I don't suppose either of you happens to have an Italian copy of Snowpiercer by any chance? If so, please chuck me a PM, because I've a favour to ask...

I never got around to buying Snowpiercer, although I might in the future. I'll PM you for the Near Dark audio, thanks a lot!
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Released] Menace II Society Criterion Preservation alleycat 4 546 2020-09-17, 12:35 AM
Last Post: daywalker
  [Released] Highlander II - US Theatrical Cut - Preservation HippieDalek 15 2,619 2020-09-11, 05:30 AM
Last Post: SalaciousScribe
  [Released] Hard Boiled Criterion Preservation alleycat 29 2,332 2020-08-20, 02:46 PM
Last Post: MrBrown
  [Released] The Hidden 1987 Special Edition alleycat 5 381 2020-07-25, 04:07 PM
Last Post: DoomBot
  [Released] Robocop Criterion Preservation alleycat 5 1,060 2020-07-22, 11:59 PM
Last Post: gladpatrick
  [Released] The Killer Criterion Preservation alleycat 13 1,639 2020-07-17, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Grim
  [Released] The Adventures Of Robin Hood 1938 Criterion Preservation alleycat 5 2,206 2020-07-12, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  SNOWPIERCER (Le Transperceneige): a pipefan413 preservation pipefan413 0 635 2020-06-28, 01:32 AM
Last Post: pipefan413
  Boyz N The Hood Criterion Laserdisc Preservation alleycat 1 1,411 2020-06-27, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Keanu
  [Released] Crash (1996) Criterion Preservation alleycat 0 626 2020-06-26, 03:19 PM
Last Post: alleycat