Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[In progress] Barry Lyndon - German Version
[Image: h9ze6S2.jpg]

An acquaintance has asked me to check the possibility of restoration of Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. As with all of Kubrick's movies prior to Full Metal Jacket, the German theatrical version featured fully localized titles and intertitles.

The DVD/BluRay only contains the original English credits / intertitles. Therefore, I decided to give it an evaluation, what can be done.
Thanks given by: ReconWorld
Well, for the start, the amount of work to be done.

Sources:
- The VHS rip done by that very acquaintance. Alas, Kubrick movies were never released in Germany on LD (at least, this one)
- Warner BluRay - source for German 5.1 audio. Alas, the VHS mono is of suboptimal quality.
- Criterion BluRay (image and 5.1 audio - would murder for a copy of the 1.0 mono!)

The Warner copy checked earlier has the wrong WB logo. The Criterion indeed has the Warner Communications logo. Also, it has a better, more filmic picture quality.

The German VHS rip is too low-quality to be able to be used as a source. Any attempts to get those darnded German titles to look like anything but smeary blotches have failed. On the other hand, it will be a helpful guidance for the placement, the look and the timing of the German titles...

...which are to be recreated from scratch.
Thanks given by:
Here are the examples of the German tape:

[Image: yD4MyQK.png]

[Image: LDe1cNS.png]
Thanks given by:
First example is written/drawn by hand and the second used font-type it looks like, so that first one's going to be a bit of a pain for you to reproduce 100%-ish Sad ...unless you just use the font-type approach on both and do away with the fiddly accuracy on the first.

Whatchya thinkin' you're gonna do?
Thanks given by:
I am already doing it. Wink More info coming later.
Thanks given by:
Anyway, here is for my intended approach.

I am doing a (as far it's possible) faithful recreation of the titles used:
- Intro credits
- Part 1 & 2 intertitles (Intermission was absent in the German version, it will be blacked out)
- Epilogue
- End credits

For the End credits, I already identified the font used, so it will be not a problem.

For the intertitles for Parts 1, 2 & Epilogue, I have designed a font recreating the original typeface designed by Bill Gold. The font is in a semibold typeface as used in the film, and contains only capital letters. Some letters (N, R & K) have quite striking differences, having a swishy hanging tail, as seen in the movie's title, Barry Lyndon (note the second R and the first N).

[Image: bGnSo1J.jpg]

Also, there are some slight differences in design of some characters, for example, the first and the second E in EPILOGUE (the 2nd is higher).

[Image: E0Pw1ZS.jpg]

These design differences are accommodated by two different sets of uppercase letters in the font.

Also, there are side ornaments, for instance, on B from "Barry" or on "N" from Lyndon. Also, the left ornament exists in two versions, a rounder and a narrower one.
These ornaments are created as separate characters which can be attached from the left or the right of the respective character.

Also, the font is to have numbers, punctuation and European accents.

All in all, it looks sufficient as for recreation of the German titles (with the help of the VHS footage for placement and timing).

Here a first test.

[Image: ndDkVq9.png]

Sources used:
- BluRay screenshots
- Book "Barry Lyndon Book & DVD set" by Taschen, containing three hi-res stills of the titles. 

However, this font won't be able to cover the lowercase letters used for the intro credits ("a film by Stanley Kubrick"). However, there is a solution for that, too.
Thanks given by:
This font exist already (official font as Kubrick used), I forgot the name, but you can find it out with whatthefont. Just upload a screenshot of the actual credits.
Thanks given by:
(2020-11-21, 05:51 PM)Stamper Wrote: This font exist already (official font as Kubrick used), I forgot the name, but you can find it out with whatthefont. Just upload a screenshot of the actual credits.

Link, or it didn't happen.   Wink
Thanks given by:
Anyway, my experience with font creation so far proves me right once again.
10% of font design is actually interesting - making the look of the letters.
Another 20% is rather boring: punctuation, numbers and those darnded accent letters.
And yet another 70% is the really boring part. That being kerning.

That's what I was doing for the past two days.

[Image: barry-clockwork1b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm following the thread with interest, even if I'm not German Big Grin
In Italy we also had a localized version that disappeared once the DVDs arrived. Sad
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
Thanks given by: TheHutt

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [In progress] The Matrix AAP-AR [EXPERIMENTAL VERSION] (three sources, new grading) TomArrow 83 32,066 2020-06-07, 10:31 PM
Last Post: pipefan413