Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dolby Atmos (DCP) vs Dolby Atmos (Blu-ray and UHD)
Let's say I have a DCP with Dolby Atmos, for example Mad Max: Fury Road, and the Blu-ray release of the same movie. What happens if I run both on a movie theater? Will I hear the same channels? (Dolby Atmos allows up to 128 audio tracks) I don't know if the Blu-ray (and UHD) releases come with a downmix.
Thanks given by:
They should be the same, but home releases are normally near field
Thanks given by: Onti
(2021-02-07, 03:26 PM)dvdmike Wrote: They should be the same, but home releases are normally near field

Nope!

Theatrical Atmos is not the same as Home Atmos.

Home Atmos is downgraded to 4 or 6 high channels. Also the objects are far less. But if done properly it wont make a major difference and can rock your house.
Sorry the same as in intent
(2021-02-07, 04:49 PM)bendermac Wrote:
(2021-02-07, 03:26 PM)dvdmike Wrote: They should be the same, but home releases are normally near field

Nope!

Theatrical Atmos is not the same as Home Atmos.

Home Atmos is downgraded to 4 or 6 high channels. Also the objects are far less. But if done properly it wont make a major difference and can rock your house.

Interesting! But what do you mean by "4 or 6 high channels"? Less objects when you watch any movie in 4K UHD? Due to compression? You mean there's not enough bandwith for an untouched theatrical track?

A better example would be The irishman (which has a Dolby Atmos track, like Criterion's Blu-ray) Netflix keep their original movies almost exclusively on the streaming platform to attract new customers, for this reason The Irishman had a limited theatrical release. Therefore, what would be the point of having a different mix via streaming? It would be understandable if the reason were storage limitations. 90% of people have seen this Scorsese movie at home (via streaming or thanks to Criterion's Blu-ray release).
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optical Tracks and Dolby Onti 5 679 2020-09-24, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Onti
  Dolby matrixed audio on modern equipment captainsolo 11 7,885 2016-09-20, 09:43 PM
Last Post: captainsolo