Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[versions] Clint Eastwood 5.1 remixed audio films list
I thought it could be nice to gather all in one place a list of the Clint Eastwood films that are forever destroyed by remixed audio with brand new sound effects and fake spatialisation (as the center channels in most of those just use the original mono track with some EQ on top to remove music and effects).

So far, I could make:

1. Where Eagles Dare: 5.1 (remix?) other dub tracks are surround or mono.
2. Kelly's Heroes: 5.1 (remix?) other dub tracks are surround or mono.
3. Dirty Harry: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono.
4. Magnum Force: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono.
5. The Enforcer: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono.
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono.
7. The Gauntlet: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono.
8. Every Which Way But Loose: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono.
9. Any Which Way You Can: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono.
10. Bronco Billy: 2.0 surround on DVD, + Warner Archive Blu-ray is mono.
11. Honkytonk Man: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono. AMAZON WEB-DL IN 2.0
12. Firefox: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are stereo.
13. Sudden Impact: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono except one spanish track in stereo.
14. Tightrope: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono except Port. & Spa. in surround.
15. City Heat: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono except Spanish stereo.
16. Pale Rider: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono except Spanish surround.
17. Heartbreak Ridge: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono or stereo. There are 2 french mix in mono/stereo.

19. The Dead Pool: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono or surround depending the release. 2 french mixes m+s.

23. Unforgiven: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are surround. However there are both french & spa 5.1 mixes on early discs as well.
It might be that they are different dubs as well as mixes, as the USA disc has the Quebec french dub and not the True French.
24. A Perfect World: 5.1 (remix?) other dub tracks are surround.

I assume from the next one on, all 5.1 mixes are original, as they appear from the get go in other languages.

That make about 24 of his films where the original english mixes are gone from home-video. Apart from Kchrules work on the four first Dirty Harry films (the fifth one has some sync problems he plans fixing), no alternative seems to exist.

I wouldn't mind ordering some LDs for cheap and have them shipped to anyone who would be willing to rip them bitperfect so that we can sync and save most of those.

In some cases like Where Eagles Dare, it could be that the 5.1 are some early 70mm mixes sightly doctored.

Here's a list of Clint's films you can get where the original mix is included:

- Hang 'Em High: 2.0 mono on original releases in addition to 5.1 remix. Shout! new disc actually adds a stereo mix (no mono) however you can remux as it is in sync with the old version.
- Googan's Bluff: 2.0 mono on all releases
- Two Mules for Sister Sara: 2.0 mono on all releases
- The Beguiled: 2.0 mono on all releases
- Play Misty For Me: 2.0 mono on all releases
- Breezy: 2.0 mono on all releases
- Joe Kidd: 2.0 mono on all releases
- High Plains Drifter: 2.0 mono DVD, the stereo track on the new BR is stereo but apparently with the original sound effects intact.
- Thunderbolt & Lightfoot: 2.0 mono on all releases
- The Eiger Sanction: 2.0 mono on all releases

- Bird: 5.1 (remix?) other dub tracks are Dolby Surround. AMAZON WEB-DL IN 2.0
- Pink Cadillac: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are mono or stereo or surround. AMAZON WEB-DL IN 2.0
- White Hunter Black Heart: 5.1 (remix) other dub tracks are surround. AMAZON WEB-DL IN 2.0
- The Rookie: the 5.1 is from 70mm release, other dub tracks are surround. They have similar foley so this one is good. BLU-RAY IS GOOD.

Mostly anything not Warner and not popular has escaped untouched.
Thanks given by: PDB
I think the amazon 1080ps of the dirty harolds and ape movies might have the original audio tho i haven't been able to get ahold of them.

Pink Cadillac amzn is dd plus 2.0 but sounds better than the laserdisc

The rookie had a 70mm release and laserdisc is pretty much identical tho the ld sounds slightly better
Thanks given by: Stamper
Thanks, I fixed The Rookie entry. You're right, I forgot I saw this in 70mm back in 1990. I remember because I used to go to a 70mm theater which was my favorite cinema, and see every film on release week there.
Thanks given by:
I've got UNFORGIVEN (both US and JPN), THE ROOKIE, and PINK CADILLAC on LD. I believe I had the second "Any Which Way" film as well but I'm not certain.

Although IMDB claims that UNFORGIVEN had a Dolby Digital mix on original release, I couldn't find any mention of it in newspaper listings at the time. Although it was released after BATMAN RETURNS (and both were WB titles), if it didn't screen in Dolby Digital in New York around awards season, I don't think it had a 5.1 theatrical track.

I'd be up for helping with this project in the next month or so. I have the ability to do high-quality analog captures for some of the 80s LDs and can do bit-perfect PCM. Super backlogged at the moment but definitely up for helping capture anything (only accepting any sort of disc payment after everything is captured and sent to you).
Thanks given by:
Firefox is also 70mm tho i dunno if its the same mix on the bluray

Bird and white hunter has the original 2.0 on the amzn version

The gauntlet had a 4 track stereo mix so the 5. 1 is probably more accurate than the ld

Not on the list but the original mgm dvd of Thunderbolt and lightfoot has better details than the kino bluray.

Also unforgiven ld audio has voice narration in the start of the movie

I did fix the syncs on kch's dirty harold movies but i havent watched them
Thanks given by:
Thanks, will update the list. Anyone who get sent a LD, can keep it as a reward for capturing it, no need to send it back Smile

In The Gauntlet, all the gunshots sounds are new, so it's definetly not the 4.0 mix. LD versions are stereo and Dolby Surround (probably the same mix on both LDs) for the P&S and Widescreen releases. I'm not aware of any french LD so can't verify.

I think those films from around 1977 on probably had both mono and stereo mixes. Sudden Impact however is mono on the Japanese Laserdisc and the other US LDs. Also Tightrope. Heartbreak Ridge is Stereo on LD though. Maybe it depended on the films but Warner usually had a very common process for all films of the era.

The Sudden Impact Spanish stereo dub sounds unlike the 5.1 remix, so it must means there was a stereo release for the english track too.
Thanks given by:
WED and KH were both released large format-the former even had European roadshow versions. Eagles has a really impressive mix for the time however KH has a really pitiful one with little to no surround usage or stereo separation at all.

Unforgiven was released as Dolby Stereo SR in 1992 so the 5.1 is an upmix. I do think the 2.0 on the LD sounds nicer because as usual they probably filtered or EQ'd it somewhere in the upmixing process.
Damn Fool Idealistic Crusader
Thanks given by: Stamper
I think Unforgiven also had a six track mag mix for limited 70mm runs. It's believed to be the basis for the 5.1 tracks (with additional volume and EQ adjustements) on the DVD/BD/UHDs.
Thanks given by: Stamper , captainsolo
I think some of the Unforgiven DVDs have the 2.0 mix as an option (assuming it's not a dowmix), I'm going to fetch for one of those on used discs sites.

On another note, this made me realize at some point in the 80's Eastwood switched from anamorphic scope movies to spherical 1.85:1.

He usually stuck before to anamorphic lensed films, except more risky films like HonkyTonk Man. However once Pale Rider kinda fizzle out (it wasn't a huge success), there is this long stretch of 1.85:1 only films, except for The Rookie and Unforgiven.

It seems to me that this might have been a cost saving figure. Or, this must have been due to the explosion of home-video and the Pan & Scan thing. Just like Leone, tired of seeing his movie cut in half by Pan & Scan, decided to shoot Once Upon A Time In America in spherical 1.85:1.

That must be why the last Dirty Harry film, The Dead Pool, is 1.85:1 instead of scope like the other four. They did this to accomodate home video Pan & Scan.
Thanks given by:
(2021-05-19, 12:19 AM)captainsolo Wrote: Unforgiven was released as Dolby Stereo SR in 1992 so the 5.1 is an upmix. I do think the 2.0 on the LD sounds nicer because as usual they probably filtered or EQ'd it somewhere in the upmixing process.
Didn't it have Ac3 trailers?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bond 50 Blu-ray set - original audio mixes NeonBible 3 598 2020-11-03, 01:20 PM
Last Post: NeonBible
  Exclusive Deleted Extended & Alternate footage from Analog Releases of Films Dahlia761 36 23,096 2020-07-26, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Dahlia761
  Blade Runner (1982): color-timing; different versions; audio mixes Chewtobacca 31 20,983 2018-03-20, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Stamper