Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://forum.fanres.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

[No Longer Available] Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan Theatrical Cut Sky HDTV

3 Replies, 829 Views

[Image: IhseheD.jpg]

Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan Theatrical Cut (Sky HDTV 1080p v1.0)

I know the UHD is coming out very, very soon but my favorite rendition of the ST2 has always been the Sky version (also previously on iTunes). I love its warm, saturated look and very film like appearance. And my favorite cut of the movie is the theatrical cut (TC) even though the DC isn't bad (unlike ST6). So I went about cutting the Sky broadcast into the TC and added the 2 or 3 shots missing from one of the BDs. Although I like the HDTV it has a host of problems common to broadcasts. First the black levels are off and second there is a ton of macroblocking, some minor others major. I set the correct levels for the movie and then upscaled the movie to 4K and ran marcoblocking filter to fix 95% of the problems. For the remaining 5% of issues, half I went frame-by-frame painting out the macroblocking. For the parts left that couldn't be fixed with any methods, like so:

[Image: 90xlmcp.jpg]

I plugged in parts from other TC BDs and color corrected them to match. Shots from the final battle with static on the viewscreen I left alone as the replacement's color didn't work. The end results were downscaled back to a 1080p MKV(although I might do a 4K-SDR if I can figure out how).

For audio I included the older 1st gen BD's tracks, the wonderful PCM from the laserdisc and finally the tracks from the first gen TC DVD. The DD 2.0 on the DVD sounds surprisingly really good.

The Sky HDTV broadcast with the correct levels, macroblocking cleaned up and frames replaced if need be, cut down to the TC.

1. PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround (from the WS laserdisc)
2. Dolby Digital 2.0 (from the 1st Gen TC DVD)
3. Dolby Digital 5.1 (from the 1st Gen TC DVD)
4. Dolby Digital TrueHD 7.1 (from the 1st Gen TC BD)

Original TC BD with ENG subs

[Image: 3q2tJIP.jpg]

More Pics
[Image: a1VX4xq.jpg]
[Image: 7ohY7Ey.jpg]

Collaborators and Thanks:
Ready to call this done. Participating members (aka no newbies, low posters) can PM me if they want a copy. Do NOT post in the thread asking for the project.

Please allow me a day or two to get back to you. I'll keep it posted for a week or two.
Great Job, the 2.0 and 5.1 on the 1 gen DVD must had come an abadoned LD master.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jingle All the Way (1996) - Restored & Regraded [Theatrical & Director's Cut] Kreeep 4 914 2023-11-28, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SparkzFly
  [Released] Highlander II - European Theatrical Cut - Preservation - Version 2! HippieDalek 95 26,990 2023-11-12, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rickstaman05
Photo The Exorcist Theatrical Preservation mst3kpimp 7 922 2023-11-05, 02:25 PM
Last Post: GuyIsAMovieAddict
  Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Restored and Regraded (Theatrical & Special Edition) Kreeep 80 15,637 2023-10-23, 05:02 PM
Last Post: nrvous
  The Last of the Mohicans - Original Theatrical Cut - BD-50 - Shadoe jerryshadoe 49 27,552 2023-10-07, 02:06 PM
Last Post: oothere
  [No Longer Available]Aliens SE, TV and Theatrical Cut (Japanese WOWOW HDTV Broadcast) PDB 79 23,063 2023-10-07, 10:43 AM
Last Post: oothere
  [No Longer Available] The Fellowship of the Ring Variable Aspect Ratio aka Open Matte PDB 46 21,413 2023-09-22, 03:27 PM
Last Post: riccardo4685
  [Released] Highlander II - US Theatrical Cut - Preservation HippieDalek 25 7,884 2023-09-20, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Kermit_Protocol
  [No Longer Available] Back To The Future - Open/Variable Matte (Upscale Project #1) PDB 41 33,903 2023-09-18, 11:14 PM
Last Post: niglo
  [Released] Return of the Living Dead (1985) theatrical reconstruction Evit 15 5,604 2022-08-03, 12:45 AM
Last Post: Dks8819

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)