Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://forum.fanres.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

The Hateful Eight Extended Edition

2 Replies, 1030 Views

Howdy ya'll! First post here, so if I'm doing this wrong, please let me know!

I've been into fanediting for some time but I've never posted anything just because the quality, while decent enough for my own personal use, hasn't quite been up-to-snuff where I'd want to share it. While it's still a WIP, this one is thankfully a little bit different.

The Hateful Eight has been one of my favorite Tarantino films since I first saw it in the Roadhouse release. When I first heard that he was going to be re-releasing it for Netflix with additional footage, I was very interested, however watching it as a four-part miniseries didn't really interest me. I'm sure somebody has done it somewhere, but I couldn't for the life of me find it, so I decided I would take it upon myself to bring that extended footage back into the original film.

I bring you: The Hateful Eight Extended Edition!

Now you can watch the original film with additional footage seamless entered back into the film! I tried to make it the longest cut possible, using Movie-Censorship.com's writeup on the differences as my guide. There's a few shots here and there where the theatrical cut has longer takes, so I stuck to those versions instead of the Extended's shortened shots.

There's still some work to be done though, as the color grading between the two versions is pretty different. Should be easy to fix, it's just going to take a minute. I'm not super great at the technical side either, so I'm still trying to figure out the best render settings for the best possible image. I'm using Da Vinci Resolve if anyone has any tips. Unfortunately the project is only in 1080p, as getting a copy of the miniseries release was a feat and a half. I would love to do a UHD version of the cut at some point if I can get the right footage. Until then, 1080p will suffice! I've got a workprint version for now until I get the rest of the changes implemented, but its perfectly watchable and a fun way to watch this fantastic film!
(This post was last modified: 2023-09-17, 06:18 PM by jaklbe.)
I'm pretty sure, too, that this was released previously, but I can't recall who made it, and where - not only my memory lacks per se, but also a LOT of projects to remember doesn't help either! Big Grin

Anyway, thanks for this project - I'm sure it will be appreciated by others as well! Ok
Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash... Sad
Fundamental Collection | Vimeo channel | My blog
This is actually a project that I planned to do at some point in the future. Planned to upscale the footage to combine with the 4K theatrical, or do an upscale of both, depending on how it turns out going, once started... The perks of doing it myself would of course be having completed control of the compression quality at the end, sticking to lossless or prores editing, and of course having a lossless audio at the end. Many fanedits go with aac, which is fine, no doubt, but I prefer to keep lossless, where possible.
For some fanedits where editors were so kind to share their work with me, I even went back and re-edited the sound portion of them, just to have a lossless track with it... Basically did some backward engineering with the edit, to bring back lossless mix from source...

Anyway, glad someone was also having the same idea. Not to say that I have a reason to believe your take will be anything short of great, in fact, I would surely follow the Movie-Censorship.com as guide. Not sure when I will get to give it a go, one of these days... I guess.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Devil's Advocate "Uncensored" Edition + Extended Edition 1080p BD project jerryshadoe 14 13,748 2024-04-08, 05:10 PM
Last Post: little-endian
  [In progress] Zack Snyder's Justice League Ultimate Edition franzkfk 22 4,920 2022-09-30, 09:01 PM
Last Post: notPaul
  [In progress] Black Panther - IMAX Edition (kidjupiter92 MCU IMAX Collection #001) kidjupiter92 8 2,160 2022-04-21, 09:05 PM
Last Post: kidjupiter92
Lightbulb [In progress] Joker Alternate Extended Cut freetheworld 4 1,930 2021-01-24, 03:40 AM
Last Post: arjun212
  The Killer - Ultimate Edition CSchmidlapp 40 35,625 2020-09-17, 07:01 PM
Last Post: NiceNightForAWalk
  [Help] Highlander II - US Theatrical Cut - Extended Shot Problem HippieDalek 6 3,339 2020-02-12, 05:40 AM
Last Post: DeafYakuza
  [In progress] Shaolin Soccer Original DUB Edition JackReacher 1 2,410 2019-12-07, 08:44 AM
Last Post: JackReacher
  The Hateful Eight 4K with More Accurate Colors English Titles, and at 24p Colson 33 15,215 2019-09-16, 05:59 PM
Last Post: ThePlayer
Video Back To The Future - To Be Continued Edition ilovewaterslides 21 18,676 2018-01-02, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Beber
  [In progress] Stargate - Fan Edit Extended Edition Restoration Ronster 10 7,271 2017-08-10, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Ronster